Thursday, November 27, 2014

Today, I am thankful for all of my family: here in USA, in Russia, and around the world!

These are foster children that Dianne and I visited on a couple of our trips to Russia
Today, I am remembering the two Thanksgiving Days that Dianne and I spent in Russia ministering to the kids in orphanages there. The children had so little to be thankful for, but they were so anxious to give and to share.
Experiences I will never forget: the one little girl who insisted that I should take her bean bag doll as a gift... and the little one who persisted that I should hold her gloved hand as we road on the train, because she had gloves and I did not.
On one of our Thanksgiving Day visits, we were at the Luga Orphanage, about 4 hours south of St. Petersburg, and Dianne told the children about eating pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving Day. The children had never heard of such an unusual thing, and asked her to bring pumpkin pie on our next visit. Dianne didn't forget. The next time we traveled to Russia, she took the ingredients for a pumpkin pie. She tried to make the pie at a small flat in Luga, and the stove would not cooperate... so she ended up making pumpkin cake. The kids loved it anyway!
On another Thanksgiving Day, when Eva Эвелина Птуха was working as our coordinator and interpreter, we went to Misha's (Eva's husband) Mom's flat for a wonderful feast. Misha's Mom wanted us to feel "at home" on our Thanksgiving Day... and we did! Of course, Thanksgiving Day is not celebrated in Russia.
Today, I am thankful for all of my family... my family here in the USA and in Russia and around the world... all of my Big Family. I am thankful to the Lord that He gave His life for me and all of my family so that we can spend eternity together!

No comments:

Post a Comment