Monday, October 13, 2014

Confessing how I didn't understand what widows and widowers were going through... before my Dianne went to heaven

(I published this "status" on Facebook recently, but I know there are a few people who read this blog who are not on Facebook... so here it is on the blog....   

  I must confess that, before Dianne went to heaven, I was somewhat insensitive to the grief experienced by widows and widowers. I used to think: "Well, it's been 3 months since their husband or wife passed away... they should be getting over it... and getting on with life." Or, "it's been a year... and surely they should be 'over it' by now."

     Now that I am a part of this group that I never wanted to join, I realize that losing the love of your life creates a hole in your life... and the grief is with you for the rest of your life. You might plow through the grief, find ways to tame it, find ways to share it... but the grief is going to be there for the rest of your life.


     It's not a very happy kind of statistic, but unfortunately, almost one-half of married couples are going to be experiencing the grief of losing their spouse. Of course, a few couples go home together... but it's rare. Dianne and I had always prayed that we would live long lives, just go to bed one night, and pass away together during the night... going on to be with our Lord. Of course, God didn't answer that prayer the way that we thought best.


     Why do I write this? 


     For those of you who have your spouses... cherish each day and frequently express your love for each other.


     And... to everyone who has never experienced losing a spouse... just understand and encourage those who have.

No comments:

Post a Comment